Advanced Certificate in Enterprise Risk Management: ACERM™
Advanced Certificate in Enterprise Risk Management (ACERM™)
Risk management is an integral part of good management practice and an essential element of good corporate governance.
We live in an uncertain world – all organisations have material risks that must be actively managed in order to survive in an increasingly complex environment. These risks relate to the increasing obligations of organisations to people, the community, their stakeholders and the environment. Risk management involves managing to achieve an appropriate balance between realising opportunities while minimising adverse impacts. It is an iterative process which can enable sound decision making and facilitate continuous improvement in performance.
All executives and managers have a responsibility to properly manage the risks in their organisations and this course will show them, and those working for them, how to identify, evaluate, manage and act on these risks. It will also show them how corporate governance works and what is expected of them in the corporate governance framework.
This course is not only for Risk professionals but for everyone with a managerial responsibility. This comprehensive and interactive 5-day program is certified by Qualifi, a recognised UK awarding body, and covers the inter-related disciplines of Risk Management, Internal Controls and Corporate Governance. It is designed to give executives and managers the tools and confidence to enable their organisation to deliver sustainable results in a controlled environment. The course will be led by an experienced risk management executive who will cover the principles of Risk Management and Corporate Governance and illustrate how these principles can be applied in practice.
The course will cover:
- Risks and issues
- Commercial importance of good risk management
- Identification of risks
- Changing nature of risks over time
- Short and long term risks
- Management of risks including accepted and external risks
- Risk reporting
- Operational Risk
- Financial Risk
- Legal/Regulatory Risk
- Strategic Risk
- Reputational Risk
- Creating a Risk Framework
- Governance committees
- Composition of committees
- External oversight
Benefits of attending
By attending this interactive course you will be equipped with the skills to:
- Demonstrate that they have the skills required to manage risk exposures and participate in the governance process
- Improve organisational resilience by:
- Increasing awareness to identify and treat main and emerging risks – proactive stance in respect of risk throughout the organisation
- Identifying opportunities and threats, and risks that are not currently managed
- Improving Governance and stakeholder trust
- Assisting management in driving strategy
- Better understanding of the organisation / environment
- Confidently manage risks in their organisation by:
- Knowing what is expected of them in managing risks
- Understanding how to identify and evaluate these risks
- Knowing the types of risk and the challenges they present
- Being able to identify the barriers to effective risk management and understand how these can be overcome
- Having the confidence to report risks accurately and effectively
- Understanding which risks can be accepted and which cannot be tolerated
- Understanding the principles of corporate governance and what it is seeking to achieve, and being able to set up an effective governance structure
- Knowing what governance committees are looking for and how to participate effectively in them
- Gain an accredited Certificate approved by a recognised UK awarding body – the Advanced Certificate in Enterprise Risk Management (ACERM™)
- Use ACERM™ on your business card and on your resume.
Who should attend?
This highly practical and interactive course has been specifically designed for:
- Risk professionals
- Company secretaries
- Operational managers
- Finance managers
- Corporate strategists
- Project managers
- Business owners
- HR managers
- IT managers
- Sales managers
- Account managers
5 Day Course Outline
Course timings: Registration will be at 08:30 on day one with the course commencing promptly at 09:00am each day and concluding at 05:00pm. There will be two short breaks and an hour for lunch each day.
Overview of Risk
- What is it?
- Distinction between risks and issues
- Commercial importance
Types of Risks
- Identification techniques
- Importance of comprehensive approach
- Dynamic not static subject
- Horizon risks
- Crisis management
- Empirical and intuitive
- Probability and impact
- Dangers of false assurance
- True nature and longevity
- Value of simple questions
- Importance of challenging assumptions
- Manageable risks
- Accepted risks
- External risks
- Limitations of rules based approach
- Industry best practice
- Delegating responsibility to line managers
- Legal position
- Light touch, structured or hybrid
- Three lines of defence model
- Committee structure
- Composition of committees – static, dynamic or a mixture
- Ensuring structure operates as intended
- Dealing with difficult members
- Audit (internal and external)
- Importance of good reporting
- How to construct good reports
- Understand what needs to be reported
- Effectiveness of mitigation
- Overview of effectiveness
- Overview and scope
- Understanding of why management must be devolved
- How to help non-Risk managers
- Understanding the importance and scope
- How to engage with experts
- How to understand reports
- Importance of basic questions and answers
- How to project trends
- Stress testing/reverse stress testing
- Fundamentals of regulation
- Strict liability including personal liability
- Dealing with courts and regulators
- Cost effective approach to issues
- How to ensure that all the material risks are identified and understood
- How to manage difficult messages to Executives and Board
- Importance of reporting and recording
- External factors which can affect strategy and how to deal with them
- Importance of working through scenarios
- Understand the relative importance to different organisations
- Distinguish market and company risk
- Learn management techniques to manage this risk
- Meaning and importance
- Commercial importance
- Importance to Board, executives, shareholders, potential investors, regulators, politicians
Designing a Risk Framework
- Presentational techniques
- Quality of Reporting
- Robust Oversight
- Continual Re-evaluation
*Only those who successfully complete the examination and participate effectively in the course case studies will receive the Advanced Certificate in Corporate Risk & Governance (ACERM™)
Meet your MasterClass Director:
Jay is a commercially focused Fellow Chartered Accountant, business consultant, advisor, executive trainer and author with extensive executive-level experience. Jay recently retired from being a Partner with Barker Henley in Sydney, Australia where he led an experienced team in risk advisory, internal audit, business consultancy and executive training practice. Understanding the complexities of today’s domestic and global businesses, Jay’s career involved providing a range of truly seamless strategic risk and business advisory services.
Prior to joining Barker Henley, Jay was a specialist Risk Partner with ‘Big 4’ firm, Deloitte, and held executive positions with major national and international companies. He has set up and managed commercially driven Internal Audit and Risk Management, Financial Management and Business Improvement functions in large multi-nationals. Jay has extensive experience in risk management, business improvement, finance management, audit, governance, investigations and project management for organisations in Australia, the UK, USA, Asia and North Africa. His expertise has ensured the successful implementation of business improvement initiatives focused on enhancing profitability, cost savings and cash flow.
Jay’s experience spans several industries including, but not limited to, government, education, banking and finance, manufacturing, retail, distribution, insurance, healthcare, publishing, transport and not-for-profits. His achievements enabled companies, both nationally and internationally, continual business improvement, enhanced KPI achievement and improved performance. Jay is an accredited trainer and has provided training for Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, the Institute of Internal Auditors and the Australian Institute of Management. He is regularly invited to facilitate industry conferences in Australia and internationally on risk management, business and profit improvement and internal audit.
Qualifying as a Chartered Accountant with Ernst & Young in the UK, Jay is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland, Fellow with Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and the Institute of Internal Auditors – Australia. He holds a Bachelor of Accounting and Business Law from the University of Stirling, Scotland.
- All Business Management Training Group (BMTG) Ltd training courses are accredited and approved by Qualifi, under the UK Regulatory Framework.
- The BMTG, portfolio of Learning Programmes, has been fully accredited by Qualifi, an official UK Government recognised awarding body.
- In addition, Qualifi has approved BMTG as an Accredited Centre which reinforces our commitment to assuring the highest recognised Quality Standards in delivering and assessing Programmes internationally.
- BMTG will continue to explore and evolve our accreditation framework to meet the demands of our Partners and delegates.
Visit www.bmtg.org to learn more about BMTG.
Qualifi is a UK regulated awarding body offering academic and vocational qualifications and assessment to schools, colleges, employers and other places of learning in the UK and internationally. For more information, please go to www.qualifi.net
CPD standards Accreditation
Accredited by the prestigious CPD Standards Office.
Any delegate who attends this Accredited course may be issued with a CPD Certificate of Attendance* upon request, which they can use within their formal CPD record for a professional body, institute, or employer. The CPD Standards Office accreditation services works in partnership with the Training Journal and the CPD Institute supporting all forms of professional development and CPD schemes globally and has an increasingly international reputation as the strongest currency in professional development. CPD extends across the globe and is undertaken in most countries. The CPD Certificate of Attendance is issued in soft copy only and contains the applicable CPD credits for each course.
British Council Certificate Validation
The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide and has offices in more than 100 countries and territories and are active in many more. The British Council provides access to the UK’s assets (language, arts, education and society), especially in big and emerging markets, as well as opportunities for millions of people to engage in global dialogue.
For information on The British Council in your country please refer to: www.britishcouncil.org/
The British Council in your country can validate the authenticity of your certificate to confirm that the issuing institution is an accredited one in the UK. This gives you, as a successful BMTG delegate, the added security that your qualification is accredited not only by Qualifi, under the UK Regulatory Framework, but also validated by a prestigious representative body like The British Council.
If you would like to have your certificate validated by the British Council, please let us know by emailing email@example.com and include details of your course (eg dates, location, qualification and certificate number) and we will advise you of the process.
Download Brochure and Articles
To learn more and view the course outline fill the form below to download the brochure and related articles.