Certificate in Green Procurement Practices (CGPP™)
Certificate in Green Procurement Practices (CGPP™)
“Procurement is a powerful instrument for organizations wishing to behave in a responsible way and contribute to sustainable development and to the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.” – These words are quoted from the ISO International Standard 20400 which compliments ISO 14000 and specifically addresses Sustainable Procurement.
What an exciting time to work as a procurement professional! Especially with the importances as noted above and the upcoming COP 28 Conference in November-December of 2023. This course is especially designed for you: the Procurement, Purchasing and/or Supply Management Professional. As our title: Certificate in Green Procurement Practices: CGPP™ implies, the focus color today is: GREEN!
Please keep in mind that companies are changing how they manage their Supply Chains. Rigid, arms-length relationships are giving way to alliances with both suppliers and customers. Companies of all sizes are further enhancing these fundamental Supply Chain changes by considering the environmental impact and related bottom line effects of their decisions and actions. The aim of this course is to provide practical guidance in Greening your Supply Chain based on what is being done in Fortune 100 companies, recognized world-wide for their environmental initiatives and financial savings. This hands on course is a blend of best practices, case studies, tools and methods based on those utilized by the companies above to allow for a doable, straight-forward-Green Supply Chain with a specific focus on Procurement. The course consists of eleven key modules which include presentations, demonstrations, discussions and exercises.
- Understand both the benefits of a Green Supply Chain with a focus on Procurement and the costs of lacking a focus
- Deploy a four-step process to decision making
- Engage a ten-step approach to Green Procurement
- Identify Green focus areas then implement key strategies and practices
- Understand both ISO14000 and ISO20400 and how they compliment Green
- Take this program from concept to reality – conclude with a doable Procurement action plan
Benefits of attending
Benefits of attending
- Be equiped with the knowledge and skills to implement sustainable Procurement practices that align with ISO20400 standards.
- Learn how to assess supply chain sustainability
- Develop and implement Green Procurement Strategies
- Measure and report on sustainability performances
- Implement best practices and emerging trends in Green Procurement Initiatives
Who should attend?
Who should attend
- CEO’s/COO’s, Chief Procurement Officers, Heads, Directors, Managers, Senior Managers
- Team Leaders from the following departments: Procurement (Direct and Indirect), Category Management, Sourcing, Purchasing, Supply Chain, Commodity, Production, Marketing & Operations, Materials Management, Inventory/warehouse, Contract, Logistics
Meet your course director:
Patrick Woods, BS, CPSM, CPSD, C.P.M., CPIM
Patrick is an international training consultant and adjunct professor, specializing in Business Administration, Project Management, Management Development, Supply Chain, Logistics, Procurement and Contracts.
He brings 36 years of experience working in Senior Management positions for Fortune 100 corporations and based on his leadership of a multi-national team for Emerson Worldwide, a global technology and manufacturing company, was recognized by the CEO as the: “team of the year”. For the past 20 years, as the Founder of Supply Chain Education, Patrick has worked with over 300 firms based in 30 countries located primarily in the USA, the Middle East, Africa and Central America.
In collaboration with Missouri State University, USA, Patrick has delivered training which includes: leadership fundamentals, how to move from a tactical cost function to a strategic profit function and risk/cost management. His delivery style is: “Edutainment” where he blends best practices with a gentle dab of humor and as a result, he has won outstanding evaluations from major manufacturing to service to government organizations, including to NGOs in warn-torn countries. He divides his time between the USA (Texas) and Central America (Costa Rica).
- CGPP™ is certified by the Missouri State University International Leadership and Training Center (ILTC) who provide customized, non-credit training and vocational programs for international students and professionals.
- CGPP™ has been analyzed by Missouri State University ILTC and it had the proper content and quality to get the university’s quality seal, that means that you’re going to get a top of the line course.
Module 1: Introduction to Green Procurement Principles
- Transition from tactical purchasing to Best-In-Class Supply Management
- Determine significant opportunities from improving material flow and use
- Define environmental practices that lead to major savings
- Review innovations in purchasing, materials handling, storage, materials recovery, disposition and product take-backs
- Analyze the key practices of successful GPP companies
Module 2: Environmental Costs and Benefits
- Note why environmental costs are overlooked by traditional models
- Compare and contrast misallocating environmental costs versus improving the allocations
- Define the key cost categories of: conventional, potentially hidden, contingent, relationship and external as well as understand how to improve them
Module 3: Decision-Making Framework
- Understand and implement a four-step approach to decision making
- - Step 1: Identify Costs
- - Step 2: Determine Opportunities
- - Step 3: Calculate Benefits
- - Step 4: Implement/Monitor
- Practical Exercise: In various groups, review case studies on key corporations that are following these steps
Module 4: Stakeholder Engagement
- Strategies for engaging stakeholders in green purchasing initiatives
- Building partnerships with suppliers
- Educating and involving employees
- Communicating with customers and the public
Module 5: Establish GPIs-Approach
- Understand and implement a ten-step approach to Green Procurement
- Commit to being Green
- Identify/categorize needs
- Develop specifications and standards
- Establish selection criteria
- Focus on Green products and/or services
- Use Life-Cycle Costing
- Include performance clauses in contracts
- Use technology
- Make it easy
Module 6: Establish GPIs-Contract Management
- Integrate sustainability into Procurement contracts
- Implement sustainable Procurement practices
- Manage supplier performance and conducting audits
- Measure and report on sustainability performance
- Practical Exercise: Develop contract language with key suppliers related to GPI
Module 7: Determine The Green Focus Areas
- Information Technology
- Office Supplies
- Practical Exercise: Determine as groups, if these areas are feasible for the participants and their companies and/or look at additional areas related to Procurement
- Develop Green Strategies
- Closed-Loop based
- Review The Profile Company – Commonwealth Edison
- What practices they used
- What their strategies were
- How much they saved
- Practical Exercise: In various groups, analyze case studies -
- reducing Supply Chain carbon emissions
- building a Green Supply Chain for fun and profit
- addressing Sustainability issues
- evaluate the benefits of environmentally friendly packaging
- develop a business case for corporate strategies in procurement
Module 8: Understanding both ISO14000 and ISO20400
- What do they have in common?
- How do they differ?
- Detail what is required to become certified
- Formalize policies and procedures
- Continue with continuous improvements and recertifications
- Drive ISO 14000/ISO20400 with your supply base
Module 9: What is COP28 and How Does It Affect You?
- Open Discussion
Module 10: Reaching Positive Conclusions
- Understand the four step process
- Proactive management of suppliers
- Adoption of eco-efficient manufacturing
- Attention to customer satisfaction
- Determine end-of-life product issues
Module 11: Build the Action Plan
- Practical Exercise: Determine in a group settings, your Procurement action plans based what has been discussed in this course to “hit the ground running” the very next week
- Wrap Up
- Course Assessment (Offline)
Schedule and Pricing
- Early Bird PricingBook and pay before 29, April 2024$3,200.00
- Standard Pricing$3,500.00
Download Brochure and Articles
To learn more and view the course outline fill the form below to download the brochure and related articles.